Beet Leaves Benefits & Uses Vegetable Facts Botanically, the bay tree belonging to the Lauraceae family is known as the Latin name Laurus nobilis. The pretty fragrant bay leaf is a spice that has been used since ancient times and is very popular in the kitchens.
The bay tree is a tall, conical and unfolded tree that grows up to 30 meters. Thank you very much for listening, I wish you great health, wealth and happiness. Fading and dried leaves can store their strong aromas for months.
Beet Leaves Benefits & Uses
- 1. Beetroot is a delicious vegetable that is known for its medicinal properties. However, you can also eat the leaves and stems for some great benefits.
- 2. These parts of the plant often get cut off and thrown away, however, they are very nutritious to eat.
- 3. Similar to spinach, these leaves contain lutein which is very good for improving vision and maintaining healthy eyes.
- 4. They are also extremely rich in Vitamin K. This is very important for the body to maintain healthy bone mass.
- 5. They also contain valuable amounts of Vitamin A, B7, and C, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, potassium, copper, iron, and manganese.
- 6. You can eat these by sautéing them in a pan with a little olive oil. Alternatively, add them to your usual salads.
- 7. The stems are quite bitter, so I recommend cooking these in a little lime juice, clementine zest, and honey for a zingy flavor.
- 8. The Vitamin K concentration will also help prevent osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s disease.
- 9. If you are suffering from anemia, eating beet greens regularly in a balanced diet will help to combat the problem.
- 10. When harvesting the leaves, they should be crisp and fresh. If they are slimy or wilted then they are no good.
- 11. You should wash the leaves and stems well before eating. You can also store them in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- 12. You can also boil these in hot water for 1 minute. This will make the leaves taste slightly sweeter.
- 13. I recommend eating these with some delicious poached eggs, or for a vegan treat, enjoy them with tofu.
- 14. To learn about the benefits of beetroot (the lower part of the plant) please see my other video.